Wednesday 18 July 2012

Actually I'm 31

Getting old scares me!!!

It has always scared me.

It probably scares me more than is 'normal'.

As I managed to admit in the post title I am 31 years old. Next birthday however I can guarantee that I will be 21 (again). 

I really don't want to appear vain when  I say this. Its not so much that I am bothered about looking old or anything like that. Its that I am scared that life is passing me by. Scared that I am not making as much of my life as I could be and scared that 4 years away from declining fertility (for women fertility starts to decline at 35 years old and is almost not possible by the age of 41) I (and my partner) have not yet decided whether we ever want children.

Its getting to the stage now where I am asking anyone I meet through work what they think. Up to now everyone has said that children are the best thing ever and they would never be without their own. 

I can change my mind minute by minute, one minute wanting children, and the next not at all.

It doesn't help that I work with 'disaffected children' in an educational setting. I see parents who don't know where to turn, or what to do and constantly have problems with their children. At the same time I work in a very good school where I see children who are adorable and who I could adopt on the spot. They are polite and get involved with everything, and I guess my question would be, could I raise a child to be like them?


No comments:

Post a Comment